CED SIGNS EU HEALTH POLICY PLATFORM JOINT STATEMENT AND CALL TO ACTION ON AMR.
By Council of European Dentists.
The CED has signed the Joint Statement and Call to Action on AMR that were a result of the EU Health Policy Platform’s Thematic Network on AMR, led by the European Public Health Alliance (EPHA). Other signatories of the documents include patients’ organisations, human and veterinarian health professionals organisations, and consumer organisations.
The documents were presented to the Commission and a wider audience on 27 November 2017 at the annual Health Policy Platform Meeting. The Call to Action can be seen as an executive summary of the more detailed Joint Statement. Both documents call for a one health approach and address the following aspects:
- Involve civil society in AMR-One Health policymaking;
- Support the development and implementation of National Action Plans and allocate adequate European funds to actions against AMR;
- Address all aspects of the One Health approach;
- Improve and regularly update the data on AMR burden in Europe;
- Analyse and benchmark collected data;
- Make full use of EU legislative powers in AMR relevant sectors;
- Nurture and actively involve healthcare professionals, including students;
- Put into practice existing evidence and continue scientific research to obtain a better understanding;
- Adopt a “prevention is better than cure” approach;
- Support and promote the use of rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs);
- Empower patients and raise public awareness.